Monday, June 7, 2010

My Camera is Racist

Yes, I am a little bit crazy.  I´m living in Peru for the summer and I don´t quite speak Spanish.  The area where we´re staying can best be described as a small town, bu the area where we´re volunteering is definitely the country.  When my husband and I get on the micro (buses that are public transit but don´t seem to be government or city owned) the more traditional campesinos tend to stare at us.  We´ve gotten some great pictures, but something troubling has happened.  My camera is racist.  So, we have a newer Nikon camera that was given to us as a gift before going on this trip, and haven´t really gotten to use it much.  Much to my surprise the auto setting keeps asking if I have blinked when we take my picture. Sadly, no, I´m not blinking I´m just Asian.  Despite the fact that I´m of the opinion that technology is rarely neutral, it is still surprising that this has occured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment